Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Comic 500 Speculation

Guys - I'm leaving this up here for a bit - the Mr. Hat story arc post, which I'll still update, is just below - but what do you think is going to happen for xkcd's 500th comic? Something self-congratulatory and clip-show-y? By by count, the comic will run the day after the election - something relating to that, perhaps? Of course, it will presumably go up at midnight EST, as usual, so we may not know the winner - perhaps he'll make a joke off of that. Two comics, one for each possibility.

Guesses?

8 comments:

  1. There are two kinds of landmark comics. There are those which will be self-congratulatory--and I think that's okay, even though '500' usually includes guest comics. And then there are comics which make jokes about how they aren't joking about #500.

    Sometimes they have a serious aside. Sometimes not. I don't know. I'm not actually worried about this one for some reason, except possibly that it will be a huge anticlimax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you put it like that...

    We are kind of ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have all sorts of crazy theories about how it will actually be a giant explosion of internet memes, election results, and the ending to this current story arc (which seems paced wrong to end tomorrow). I will elaborate perhaps over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to point out that it is actually the 499th comic, as there is no comic #404. That being said, I think it will have election results. There is no way to predict the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The landmark number in the comic numbering is usually more important than the actual landmark number of comics. This is something I have observed in a number of webcomics past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I told my roommate comic 500 was coming up. His expression became a look of horror and disgust.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see your post about this shit-tacular comic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1154/wceoc2.png

    ReplyDelete