Friday, May 23, 2008

Comic 427: Bad Timing

Here is another character and his girlfriend (don't worry, they're in a balloon just to make it quirky) comic, except that this one ends with them getting attacked by the infamous Red Spiders.

Now I first have to point out that it was only last week when I expressed my desire to have the red spiders come back, although of course I specified that I wanted it to be cool. Nonetheless, I called it.

Think back to what the red spiders used to be, waaaaaaay back at the beginning of xkcd - they were a little creepy, a little threatening - crawling over boxes, apparently learning to build things, threatening a city, necessitating a counter offensive. And here, they...disrupt a relationship talk. I mean scary....but....

Also I'm not sure why in panel three the guy knows about the spiders, and why he assumes that the girl knows about them. But that's not the problem really, it's the spiders coming back but being lame thing that annoys me.

Now - if it turns out that this is only the first of many red spider strips, this is like some prelude to a series of horrible death and destruction comics with the spiders, that would be ok. I would admit to being wrong here. But it seems unlikely. But who knows?

3 comments:

  1. Eh, it's just fanservice for people who read the other ones. Randall likes making jokes that he hopes people won't get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. man, you are probably right, and that just makes it worse...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it, this is absurd humour. They're having a cliché conversation about their relationship, in a balloon, which is alreay absurd, and then the guy mentions red spiders, completely out of the blue,and then they attack, which gives sort of a logic to the crazy point the guy was making.

    So when you say: Also "I'm not sure why in panel three the guy knows about the spiders, and why he assumes that the girl knows about them. But that's not the problem really"

    I think yeah, that's the problem, really. 2 people in a balloon, red spiders attacking: not funny. It is funny because the guy talks about them as a reason for breaking up with the girl.

    ReplyDelete