Sunday, July 6, 2008

Comic 445: It can't possibly suck as hard as it looks like it sucks

I AM GOING TO assume that there is an episode of Firefly where some guy sucks at throwing boomerangs. Or that there is a bonus level of guitar hero that I have yet to unlock where you get a shark to fly at you. Or that at last week's geohashing and randall munroe worshipping excursion somewhere, a floating girl appeared and broke up with people. There must be some explanation for why this comic makes sense, and I simply don't get it.

Because I would hate to think that there is nothing more to this comic than meets the eye. Because how it appears to me - stupid, stupid old me - that a guy is throwing a boomerang and it hits him, then several hit him, then a shark appears, and then a floating girl appears to break up with him. Because that comic would just suck so very hard. So very, very hard.

Of course my first stop when this happens is that first ring of hell, the xkcd forums, to see if they could help explain it, as has happened on occasion. And there was no explanation, only a long discussion of people re-ordering the comics to make something mildly better. I applaud this sentiment, and if Randall's goal was something like this I guess I kind of understand, though none of the new creations are actually that funny. I don't think that was his intent though. I can't quite explain why (something about the alt-text) but I am fairly certain he had a particular story he wanted to tell here, not provide the base units for other stories.

Also, what is freaking up with all these comics with basically no words? I know there's some at the end here but still, it's not artistic, it's annoying.

8 comments:

  1. I think it has something to do with exes. The girlfriend kind, not the executable.

    *BZZT* I DON'T KNOW BUT XKCD MADE IT SO SURELY IT IS THE BEST THING TO EVER GRACE THE INTERNET HURR HURR MUST GO PESTER EVERYONE I KNOW WITH LINKS HURR NEED OIL HURR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD IT'S BEEN NEARLY 7 MINUTES SINCE I POSTED ON THE FORUM I HOPE RANDALL DIDN'T NOTICE I LOVE HIM SO MUCH.

    WHY IS THIS COMIC ONLY #3 ON DIGG.COM TODAY. WHY???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it a my super ex girlfriend reference?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did anyone even see that movie?

    What would it be in that case? What is the joke?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I SAW IT

    and regretted it

    anyway I considered that. Maybe? But I don't think so. If it were, wouldn't the girl-stick then be offscreen, throwing shit back at him? And finally tiring of it and coming back to be like "stop throwing boomerangs at me, I hate you"? I think it's just sort of like "sometimes you don't get back from life what you would expect. Sometimes you throw a boomerang and it comes back EMO"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehehe it's because every time he tries the results are worse. MY LIFE JUST KEEPS GETTING WORSE

    ReplyDelete
  7. maybe it's funny because it's so ridiculous. Have some imagination

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's pretty lazy thought. Watch:

    UGLY WASHING MACHINES EAT GREEN FLOWER-PEOPLE

    is that funny? It's random and ridiculous, which sometimes are mistaken for humor, but I don't think they are humor on their own.

    ReplyDelete